Saturday, November 27, 2004

you are here

"the story knows more than you do, let the story tell itself."

a quote from one of my favourite Daniel MacIvor plays. So - if the story (presumably my story, i.e the story of my life) knows more than I do and I'm supposed to let it tell itself - what's my place in this story - do I get to define my life, or does it just happen while I'm an impartial spectator?

Pardon my existential jabber, but my existentialism class has made me realize that there is a VAST amount of contradiction in existential philosophy. I'm still intrigued by it - I wouldn't call myself an existentialist, but there is a lot about it that I like - responsibility, freedom, etc etc etc. So if you're supposed to let the story tell itself - where's the freedom in that?

I'm leaving that as an open ended question right now. I'm not answering it. Maybe I'll answer it later.


My story right now is that I have a political philosophy paper to work on that was due last wednesday. I haven't really gotten anywhere with it, and it's really upsetting me because I'm engrossed in the class and the readings, but I can't get this essay to make any sense. I need to finish it this weekend, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. "Ethical Leadership within Rousseau's Social Contract". It's incredibly interesting, it's right up my alley, but for some reason I can't get it going. And I'm not actively procrastinating (or maybe I am ???) so what the fuck.

I spent the morning watching "The Greatest Canadian" - George Stromboulopolus was arguing that Tommy Douglas (a premier of Saskatchewan - founded Universal Health Care) should be numero uno -- and I most definately agree. Go check out the site to see why: TOMMY DOUGLAS, GREATEST CANADIAN

I slept on the couch downstairs last night - couldn't fall asleep upstairs, not sure why. Or maybe I am sure why - anxious about this essay. most definately.

Let's see if I can get motivated and work on it.

No comments: