Saturday, December 31, 2005

an early morning narrative

I have an inability to go to bed when my body tells me it's time to sleep. My body told me it was time for bed 2 hours ago, but I shoved it aside and stayed up. Didn't have a good reason. Didn't really have anything productive to do. And I love sleep. Someone used to tell me that sleep is overrated... for a while I agreed. But I just love it too much. It feels great, and it makes you happy. Sleep and sex - two seemingly antithetical bodily functions, yet they achieve extremely similar results. Sort of. As much as I love sleep, I also love being up at night when it's quiet and I've got the world to myself. I look out the window at the lights in people's houses and apartments and wonder who else is up right now and what are they doing.

What do I do at 3:09 am?

I just heard footsteps on the front porch - scared me for a minute. I went to look out the window. It was a hooded figure with a dark bag. Why is there a hooded figure with a dark bag outside my house at 3:09 am?

Damn you Toronto Star and your early Saturday morning delivery. Why do you need to persist in scaring the shit out of me at this time of night?

That's what I do at 3:09 am. Freak out at the weird noises :-) Or write a journal entry.

No comments: