Sunday, December 05, 2004

I heart "I heart huckabees"

Wow - this film was Sartre, de Beavoire, Heidegger, and Neitzche collapsed into two hours. But it was so fantastic. If I had the power to scream to the world, I would tell all to go see this film. It's not life changing, because existentialism isn't about getting people to change, but it is so.... life-thinking. It lets you think. It basically made a lot of the past three months of my contemporary existentialism class a hell of a lot clearer. And I'm thankful that I still have one class left so I can talk about this movie.

It reminded me specifically of one experience I had when I was younger:

I was 5 years old and in my grade one class at North York Montessori. As best as I can remember, I was working on a math problem - in those days, I was excellent at math; how things have changed. At some point, I decided that I was finished, that I didn't want to work on the math problem, and moreover, that I was so overwhelmed that I wanted to stop thinking.

Never in my life had it previously occured to me that it was impossible to stop thinking. Needless to say, it was quite a shock to realize such a momentous reality.

I tried and tried and tried, and the more that I tried, the more I realized that it was impossible. At the same moment, I realized that it's possible to think more than one thing at once. You know when you're thinking a whole lot of different things, each thought flowing over, under, and through each other... but then on top of them all, somwhere in the cracks and crevaces of your mind/brain/thinking-thing you have this sly little thought that "hey, look at how many things I'm thinking of. I'm so smart!"

But then that thought gets run-over by something else.

But you still have the notion above all else that you're thinking about different things.

Well I only realized this at age five. Or maybe you could say that "Wow, he was only five and look what he realized!" I don't know.

The point is that "I heart Huckabees" resonated with me as such. It was very exciting. I sat through the whole film (and am sitting right now) with a huge smile on my face. Yes, the movie was hilariously funny, and wise, and witty, and smart, and philosophical. But above all else, it was exciting. It was... interconnected.

Somebody pound me in the face with a big giant red ball. I want to stop thinking.

No comments: